12 January 2016

Boundary Road, Hove

Judy Middleton 2001 revised 2020

copyright © G. Osborne
With thanks to Mr G. Osborne for granting permission for the reproduction of the above photograph. 
Boundary Road in the early 1900s looking north

One Road, Two Councils

In the 1880s the road still retained its old names, which had varied from Aldrington Laine to Aldrington Drove and also Red House Droveway after the farm on the Portslade side of the road. By the 1890s it was called Station Road, Hove, but that caused endless confusion because the railway station at the north end was not Hove Station but Portslade Station. Councillor Bruce Morison came up with the bright suggestion that the name should be altered to Portslade Station Road but his fellow Hove councillors were not keen. In 1903 it was decided to rename the problematic highway Boundary Road. Hove councillors did enquire whether their Portslade colleagues were going to rename their portion of the road but Portslade were content to leave it as Station Road. The boundary between Hove and Portslade ran down the centre of the road, which led to the rather ludicrous situation whereby the lamp-posts on the Portslade side were painted Cambridge blue while Hove painted theirs leaf green.

 copyright © J.Middleton
Except for a few children the road seems deserted. This view was posted on 2 July 1905 although by that time the east portion of the road had been re-named Boundary Road.

One big difference between Portslade and Hove was that the Portslade part north of the railway station was called Carlton Terrace whereas the equivalent portion of road in Hove was a continuation of Boundary Road. Carlton Terrace was developed first with handsome villas whereas the Hove side only had four houses between Hallyburton Road and Old Shoreham Road.

In 1896 Parsons & Sons carried out some paving and other works for £245 from the junction with New Church Road to the coast road, then known as Shoreham Road. The distance covered was 1,330 feet. In 1898 this part of the road was declared a public highway.

There was some measure of co-operation between the two councils on the maintenance of the road. For example, in 1897 Portslade Council undertook the watering of the road to keep the dust down and Hove Council agreed to pay the handsome sum of one shilling and sixpence every time this was done.

In 1925 the two councils shared the cost of installing wood paving between the station and the seafront road where Kingsway, Hove, met Wellington Road, Portslade. The total cost of the works came to £11,659-2-1d and out of this sum the additional work in concrete worked out at £1-14-6d per cubic yard.

In 1925 Hove Council published plans to improve the road surface between Hallyburton Road and Old Shoreham Road. But Mr A Prior of a house called The Highlands in that part of the road raised an objection. He stated that because the road was an old public highway, measures could not be taken under the Private Streets Act of 1896 and ought by rights to go before the Justices. Presumably Mr Prior wished to avoid paying a proportion towards the cost of making-up the road. But by February 1926 his objection had been withdrawn. Parsons & Sons were given the go-ahead to proceed with the work, which by March 1927 had cost £662-4-3d. This portion of the road was declared a public highway in 1928.

Two Residences 

The road was first mentioned in local directories in 1896 but the grand pair of houses almost opposite St Andrew’s Road had already been built. Number 24 was called Kenmare House and Mrs Le Four lived there; next door Mrs Harcourt Mills occupied Buckland House. In February 1898 Hove Council passed Mr T.F. Waddell’s plans for a verandah to be built above the shops. The area was quite select in those days with substantial villas on the Portslade side.

By 1911 the road had been re-named and re-numbered and Kenmare House became 30 Boundary Road while Buckland House became 29 Boundary Road. The same people were still living at this address in 1919.

 copyright © J.Middleton
The beautiful verandah with its ornate ironwork seems incongruous in a busy shopping area and it dates back to 1898.

In 2015 Howlett, Clarke & Cushman, solicitors, occupy number 29, while a hairdresser’s is installed at number 30. In 2001 the latter business had shut, having formerly been Nicky J’s but it is now Anna’s Barbershop. Cushman’s have a long association with the road because there were at 5 The Parade (further north, near Portland Road) and by 1960 they were at 57 Boundary Road (number altered to 55 by 1974).


 copyright © J.Middleton
The north part of Boundary Road was once known as The Parade and there was a continuous verandah, now long gone.

When Hove Council decide to re-name the road in 1903, it became necessary to re-number the properties too. When it was called Station Road, numbering started off at the Portland Road end. Firstly, there was a group of shops called The Parade that were individually numbered from 1 to 12. Then came a group of ten private houses that were not numbered at all and were identified by name.

copyright © J.Middleton
Some original features of The Parade remain above the shops such as these terra cotta panels and decorative 'Egg & Dart' mouldings.

They were:
Marine Villa
Devon Villa

After the New Church Road intersection, the numbering south to the coast road was from 2 to 53. When the road was re-numbered, it was a complete reversal with the numbering starting off at the south end.

The following examples explain the process.

Dunedin House at 48 Station Road became 7 Boundary Road
Glencoe at 45 Station Road became 10 Boundary Road
Hadlow House at 34 Station Road became 20 Boundary Road
The wine & spirits shop at 8 The Parade became 79 Boundary Road
D.J. Stallabrass, watchmaker & cycle agent at 7 The Parade became 80 Boundary Road.

Eventually, numbering had to take account of new development up to the Old Shoreham Road. In 1925 there were four houses between Hallyburton Road and Old Shoreham Road. They were not numbered but were named The Doon, Rawene, The Highlands and Kenilworth. By 1938 numbering stretched to 108.

But the numbering was not straightforward and there were further adjustments. For example, in 1936 Barclays Bank was at number 56 while three professional businesses north of New Church Road plus Westminster Bank were numbered 57; but by 1974 Barclays Bank was listed as 54, the three businesses were at 55 while Westminster Bank remained number 57.  

Cafés and Restaurants

Number 6 – In 2001 Hainault Fryers ran a fish and chip shop; it was formerly called Seashells. It closed for a while but was open again by 2014. In 1974 it was called Pelican.

Number 7Golden Tandoori; it was there in 2000 and is still in operation in 2015.

Number 23Charcoal Grill opened in December 1993. It became Oliver’s in the late 1990s but was shut by 2000. In July 2000 the business was renamed Burger Box. By 2015 it was Marmaris Kebab House.

Number 25 – Snacks and Sandwiches. By 2015 it was Boundary Road Deli.

Number 27Café An-an opened in 2014

Number 34Portslade Spice Tandoori, established in 2000, but six years later was up for sale; it is now Touch of India.

Number 35Fortune Cookie, Chinese takeaway. It opened in December 1991. By 2014 it was Phoenix Palace.

Number 37 – A Polish-born man founded the Bistro Edward and it was in operation from at least the 1950s. It was still there in 2001, closed by 2014.

Number 45Halo Halo, internet café.

Number 51Coucou, café, opened in 2014

Number 70Pizza Box, previously it was Caruso’s, Italian restaurant. (Some staff moved to Four Seasons, further up the road).

Number 71Eddie's Cafe ( formerly Sami Swoi, Polish café).

Number 75Kentucky Fried Chicken opened in June 1995 and is still there in 2015.

Number 84Four Seasons, Italian restaurant

Number 85Oriental Village, restaurant

Number 97 – By March 1993 Raj Rani, Indian takeaway occupied the premises. In 1994 Azad Ali took over the business and renamed it Shema Tandoori, it is still there in 2015.

House and Shop Notes

Banks – Lloyd’s was the earliest one in the road and it was situated at 10 The Parade (later 77 Boundary Road) but it was only there for a short while and later moved to the Portslade side where it is still to be found.
Barclay’s Bank occupied the commanding corner site at New Church Road since before the Great War. F.T. Cawthorne, a well-known architect, designed the building. Like other banks in more straightened times, it found the building too large for its purposes and by 2001 was trying to sell the north portion. On 31 October 2014 Barclays Bank shut their doors for good after over 100 years of occupation. Meanwhile the northern part of the premises became home to Portslade Learning Centre.
The Westminster Bank (NatWest) has been in the road since 1931. Their premises were numbered at 57 Boundary Road but with enlargement they are now numbered at 257 New Church Road, although the entrance is still round the corner in Boundary Road. The house was formerly occupied by a doctors’ surgery (Doctors Portas & Clements).
The Midland Bank has been at Boundary Road since 1939.

copyright © J.Middleton
The NatWest occupies a rather grand building on a corner site.

Brighton Co-operative Society – The Society had a large presence in the road because they also ran a butcher’s and a chemist’s on the Portslade side. Their premises on the Hove side were built on land that was formerly a garden enclosed by a high fence over which hung the branches of fig trees. On either side were private houses called Hadfold Villa and Park Villa. In 1919 Hove Council passed plans drawn up by Bethell & Swannell for their shop at 39/41 Boundary Road. The Co-op building was a handsome structure with two entrances and threes display windows. Above the windows a long board announced ‘Drapery, Boots & Shoes, Clothing, Grocery and Provisions’.

copyright © J.Middleton
What a fascinating shop-front this is compared to the utilitarian building that replaced it. This old postcard dates 
from the 1920s when you could buy practically all you needed at the Co-op.

By 1960 a new Co-op was established at 75 Boundary Road and the old building was sold off to the Post Office who replaced it with a utilitarian building without any architectural merit. Gary Cardner worked for some years as manager of KFC in Boundary Road. He has pleasant memories of the Co-op, especially at Christmas time, when the storeroom at the back of the first floor was transformed into a Santa Grotto, and yes he was one of the many excited children who perched on the knees of Father Christmas, and no doubt told him about the presents he would like to receive. You ascended on the escalator to the first floor where clothes and furniture were on sale, and to reach the Co-op Bank, you went up three small steps.

Many older people will remember their Co-op membership number, which had to be recorded by hand by the shop assistant every time a purchase was made. Then once a year came Divi Day and a long queue formed in Boundary Road so that members could claim the cash dividend due to them. But the new Co-op did not last as long as its predecessor and closed down on 21 January 1989. Part of the trouble was that it had become too cramped and out of date. It also tried to sell too many disparate items from food to furniture and clothes and there was no room to expand although the small supermarket was popular. The 20 staff members were not made redundant but re-deployed. The Co-op sold the freehold of the site for £875,000. By October 1989 four new shop units had been built on the site.

One of the new units created on the old Co-op site was taken by George’s Pharmacy, which moved across the road from the Portslade side. By May 1992 it was stated the shop carried 30 per cent more stock than the old shop and Mike and Gwynedd Jones ran it. Today Boots occupy the premises.

Greenfield’s – The Greenfields, father and son, started off running a greengrocery business at 84 Boundary Road, which was listed in the 1934 Directory. But by 1940 they had taken up residence at 101 Boundary Road where another son had joined the family business, which was now listed as Greenfield & Sons (Hove) Ltd removal contractors and storage, any distance, telephone number 8221. However, there was no space for keeping their lorries at this address, and instead they stored them outside on a site at Southern Cross. This place was on the south western side, just north of the old footpath leading from Trafalgar Road to Abinger Road, known locally as The Bumps. Greenfield’s removal vans were definitely there in 1947 and still parked there ten years later. The site is now owned by Tate’s and The Bumps have been smoothed. (Thanks to Les Hamilton for this information).

By 1954 Greenfield & Sons Removals had prospered to such an extent that their premises were now listed at 89 / 101 Boundary Road. It was during this time that Elsie Bardsley contacted them in order to remove her belongings to a house in Olive Road. This transaction cost her £3, and she had to pay a £1 deposit before the move. She was never put to such an expense again because she lived in the house for over 65 years. Her sister was the celebrated Margaret Powell, and like Margaret, Elsie was a lively personality, and she was interested in local history. (Thanks to R. Bardsley for this information).

  copyright © R. Bardsley
Reciept dated 26 April 1954

By 1974 there was still a Greenfield’s business in Boundary Road, but the removals enterprise was no more – instead they had reverted to being a greengrocer’s at number 84.

Woolworth’s – Until around 1927 numbers 73 and 74 were private residences called respectively Dunwoodie and Belmont. Then the ground floors were converted into shops and number 74A was built on the garden of number 74. These houses were demolished in 1957 and a new Woolworth’s built on the site. Today Iceland occupies the premises.

Number 12a – In 1924 Aldrington Bakery was located in these premises. When Mr and Mrs George Fuller married in that year, they ordered their wedding cake from this bakery and it cost one guinea. George Fuller was working for Hillman’s the contractor at the time and he had to take a Saturday off to get married but lost a day’s wages, the young couple could certainly not afford to go on honeymoon.  

 copyright © J.Middleton
This bill was treasured as a memento of the day Mr and Mrs George Fuller were married at St Nicolas Church, Portslade.

Number 15 – It was built in around 1904 as a private residence and called Salisbury House. But by 1907 it was known as Buda College, a preparatory school for boys with Miss A.M. Yelland being the head. An advertisement stated that coaching for all examinations was carried out after school hours. By the 1960s Boundary Road Motor Cycles occupied the premises.

Number 34Portslade Spice, established in 2000, was in operation seven days a week. Besides being a takeaway for Indian food, it also had 40 covers. In September 2006 the business was up for sale and offers in the region of £65,000 were sought. It might seem a bargain price but it just covered an interest in the freehold, goodwill, fixtures and fittings while there was still £15,000 in rent to pay per annum. The property was subject to a five-yearly rent review and there were 24 years remaining on the lease.

Number 42 – In around 1928 Arthur George Hill and Frederick Charles Hill decided to start up their own wireless business next door to the Co-op. They stayed there until 1939 when they were promptly called up into the armed forces because of their radio skills. After peace was declared Arthur decided to remain in the Army and it was up to Fred to re-establish the business in different premises at 25 Boundary Road, later moving to number 35. In the 1960s he moved across to Station Road, Portslade, where the business is still trading as Hill’s Sound and Vision.

Number 45 – In the early days this house was called Glencoe. In the 1920s Arthur and Gladys Gates lived in the house. They married in 1921 and they met when they were both teachers at St Nicolas School, Portslade.  He left to serve in the Great War and afterwards worked at St Andrew’s School, Portslade where he taught woodwork. He also enjoyed woodcarving as a hobby and he played the violin and harp. Arthur Gates died suddenly in 1925 from pneumonia leaving a widow with two young children and another on the way. Mrs Gates was obliged to resume full-time teaching in order to provide for her children. Their youngest child, Donald, was still living in the house in the 1980s.

copyright © Gedye
2nd Lieutenant Arthur Gates.

Number 58 – In 1929 Mr A. Pierce moved his ironmonger’s business from the Portslade side to Boundary Road. He built two shops where the front gardens used to be, then one house was converted into two flats and the Pierce family lived in the other one. The business lasted until 1969.

copyright © Pierce
This is how Mr Pierce decorated his shop window in 1937 in honour of the coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.

Number 55

This handsome building on the corner of New Church Road and Boundary Road was specially commissioned by Barclays Bank – the plans being passed by Hove Council in 1910. The building was designed by F. T. Cawthorne, a well known architect. For many years Barclays occupied the ground floor in some state. It was a time when the resident bank manager knew all his customers, and if any of their accounts became overdrawn, a warning letter was soon despatched. Modern trends in banking, such as the increasing use of on-line banking, led to a reduced foot-fall and consequently loss of front-line staff and a reduction in floor space. Barclays then operated in a much smaller unit until giving up entirely and closing its doors.

The premises were then used as an adult learning centre under the auspices of Portslade Aldridge Community Academy.

copyright © D. Sharp
The Foghorn in February 2019

In late 2018 a new enterprise opened at number 55. The first thing passers-by noticed was a plain sign carrying the name The Foghorn. It is amusing to note that the name did not have anything to do with the sound of the foghorn, which was prevalent at the time due to misty weather, but originated in a punk band’s song. It was also the name Tommy Bowen gave to his home-brewed ale. Herein lies the clue because The Foghorn is a micro-pub, inspired by The Watchmaker’s Arms in Goldstone Villas, Hove. Tommy Bowen, a musician, opened the new micro-pub with Tim Harrow, his brother-in-law, and Niall Buckler, a former band member. The Foghorn sells Sussex-brewed ales, and Bowen hopes to provide his own brew when he has finished a tour  with band  White Lies. There are no TV or machines to distract people – instead the old art of a good conversation with a local brew prevails – and very popular it is proving too.

Number 77- John Vokins Sewing and Knitting Centre opened here in November 1990.

Number 80 – These premises were once known as 7 The Parade. In 1911 D.J. Stallabrass was a watchmaker and cycle agent at this address. Dennis Stallabrass was also famous in local annals as being the first motor-car owner in Portslade. It seems not everyone shared his enthusiasm for this new-fangled vehicle. There is an amusing anecdote about the time Stallabrass encountered the local postman in Portslade Village and offered to give him a lift up the hill. ‘No thanks’ replied the postman ‘I’m in a hurry.’ Dennis had a remarkable grandmother in Marianne Stallabrass who arrived in Portslade with her three children in the 1890s, having taken the unusual step of leaving her husband. She purchased and managed Portslade Farm and died in 1908 at the age of sixty-one.  Brasslands Drive was named after the family.

copyright © Banfield
This wonderful old photograph shows a proud Dennis Stallabrass in his Daimler Benz dogcart in Boundary Road. 
Note the milk churn in the background.

Number 81

Andrew’s Circulating Libraries operated at two sites not far apart: 81 Boundary Road Hove, and 15 North Street, Portslade. At the latter shop, on a prominent corner site, toys and fancy goods were also sold and a large board proclaimed ‘Established 1804’.

Circulating libraries were around long before free public libraries came on the scene. As borrowers paid for the privilege of taking out books, it was their tastes that prevailed. Probably the Andrew’s Library at Hove carried a large stock of popular fiction because by this time the majority of customers were female. But the service was not cheap because for non-subscribers it cost two pennies to borrow an old book for four days and three pennies if you wished to borrow a new book for the same amount of time.

It is said circulating libraries ceased functioning at the time of the Second World War but it is a fact that during the 1950s there was still a Boots’ Library and Combridges’ Library at Church Road, Hove, while at Portslade in the early 1960s there was one operating at the east end of Vale Road near Station Road where the cost was around one shilling a week.

This interesting book plate dates from 1921 and was affixed to the 
inside front cover of a hard-bound book entitled Bry of Hag Fell
 by Richard Chater published in 1921 by Mills & Boon.

Number 88 – In around 1932 Edgar Jones opened a chemist’s shop on the premises. It was still a chemist in 1974.  By 2001 Clamp Boxall, accountants, worked in the former shop but they retained two stained glass panels in the upper part of the window depicting traditional carboys, one red and the other green. This decorative feature had gone by 2014.

Number 91 – Webb’s Cycles have been in Boundary Road since 1946. John Blanchard was the owner in 1992.


Other well-known businesses were Mence Smith’s at number 69 (there until the 1960s); Hole’s & Davigdor Dairies at number 82 and Greenfield & Son, removal contractors at number 101.

In November 1990 Steven Sajnog, owner of Focus Photography, was awarded first place in the annual portrait awards of the British Institute of Professional Photographers. By January 2001 he was located at Southwick Street where he was celebrating 25 years as a wedding photographer.

In October 1997 a lottery ticket bought at Karen’s Newsagent came up trumps. It was purchased minutes before the deadline and won a happy couple £108,000.

In November 1998 it was reported that bailiffs had moved into the Dignity Care shop near Portland Road. The store specialised in equipment for the elderly and disabled. Customers lost their money while Dignity Care was said to owe more than £10,000 to Hemco of South Wales who manufactured the disability aids.

Hove Council Planning Approvals

 copyright © J.Middleton
Dr Burnett was buried in St Leonard’s Churchyard, 
1895 – C. Bullock for Dr Burnett, dwelling house, bake-house and stable. It is probable that Dr Burnett was the father of famous novelist Ivy Compton-Burnett. (For further information, see Ivy Compton-Burnett page on this blog). 

1896 – C. Bullock for Dr Burnett, seven dwelling houses and shops.

1897 – H.V.C. Smith for E. Waite, two houses.

1897 – T.F. Wadell, 14 shops and houses and one store.

1898 – C. Bullock for Dr Burnett, two houses and shops.

1899 – H.V.C. Smith for E. Waite, stable and coach house.

1899 – E. Gladman, six houses

1899 – J. Nurcombe, four houses.

1899 – S. Hopkins for R.R. Berry, two pairs of semi-detached villas.

1899 – A.R. Farr for H. Lewer, house and shop.

1900 – S. Hopkins for R.R. Berry, detached villa

1902 – Parnacott & Son for H. Lewer, four houses and shops, corner of New Church Road.

1907 – Parnacott & Son for W.M. Glover, pair of semi-detached villas.

1910 – F.T. Cawthorne for Barclay & Co, bank, shops and flats on corner of new Church Road.

1922 – Mr Williams, a bungalow at rear of number 87.

1922 – E. Gladman & Son, pair of detached houses and garage.

1925 – A. Fisher, two pairs of semi-detached houses.

1926 – G. Gilliam for H.V. Dancock, dairy at rear of number 93.

1927 – J. Parsons & Sons for Southern County Dairies, shops with flat over.

1927 – W.H. Overton for J.J. Clark, alteration of numbers 60/62 into shops.

1927 – B. James for W. Colwell, new shop at number 67.

1928 – Hunter & Bedford, shop and flat, number 64.

Directory 1936 – Shops and Businesses

1.   Mrs Winifred Pegg, confectioner
2.   West Hove Cycle Works, J.A. Mason, proprietor
3.   Good & Slomen, butcher
4.   Robert Hyman, hairdresser
5.   Mrs K. Ritchie, restaurant
6.   Mrs C.M. Wilmington, costumier
7.   Harrison’s Stores, grocer
8.   William T. Coburn, butcher
9.   Ernest G. Lyne, ironmonger
10.  Walter Woodward, newsagent
11.  Charles F. Hawkins, pork butcher
12c. Arnold E. James, sports dealer
12b. Lawrence James, boot repairer

(Seaford Road)

13.  Woolgar Brothers, plumbers
23.  Singer Sewing Machine Co,.
26.  Horace Cresswell, butcher
27.  Mrs C. Wilson, dress agency
28.  Morris Relay Services
30.  Chapman & Co. house agents
30a. Speed Company, dry cleaners
32.  W.L. Blades, confectioner
33.  Henry Charles Franklin, ladies hairdresser
35.  Ernest Keys , draper
36.  United Boot Repairers (Port, Rees & Wilson)
37.  William Henry Merritt, butcher
39/41. Brighton Equitable Co-operative Society
42.  Arthur George Hill, wireless engineer
43.  Arthur Edmonds, fish-monger
44.  Mrs M.H. Hubbard, draper
48.  Ernest E. Strong, hairdresser
49.  B. Potter, electrical engineer
51.  Henry Brown, grocer
52.  F.C. Ryan, optician
53.  H.A. Gregory Shaw, confectioner
54.  Teresa, florists, (E.F. Chapman, proprietor)
56.  Barclays Bank

(New Church Road)

57.  H.J. Lamper, architect
57.  F.W.A. Cushman & Son, solicitors
57.  John Prior Gilbert, accountant
57a. John W. Kent, grocer
57.  Westminster Bank (E.H. Rivers, manager)
58.  Pierce & Son, builders
59.  Jones & Sons, greengrocer
60.  Leonard Stanley Birch, stationer
61.  Elmer & Munday, art needlework
62.  Clark’s Bread Company
63.  Alfred Prior, draper
64.  May & Co, coal merchant
64.  William Reitz Keizer, dental surgeon
65.  Home & Colonial, provision merchant
67.  Lancaster Laundry, receiving office
67.  Wonderwash Laundry, receiving office
67a. Leonard Laver, watchmaker
69.  George Mence Smith, oilmen
70.  John R. Handley, baby carriage specialists
71.  Reginald Maxwell, dental surgeon
73.  Albert E. Chapman, hairdresser
74.  Sydney Smith, tobacconist
74a. Carpenter & Sons, butcher
75.  William Colwell & Sons, corn merchant
76/77. Alfred E. Stone, draper
78.  Albert E. Wilson, oilman
79.  Findlater, Mackie & Co. wine merchants
80.  Benwick & Smith, confectioner
81.  Miss E.M. Andrews, newsagent
82.  Hole & Davigdor Hygienic Dairies
83.  Stanley G. Barnes, tobacconist
83b. François B. Collenet, hosier
84.  Greenfield & Son, greengrocer
85.  George James Barnes & Sons, butchers
86.  Taylor’s Stores, grocer
(Portland Road)

Bertie L. Marsh, tea rooms, Station Approach

(Level Crossing)

87.  William Cherryman, tobacconist
88.  Edgar Jones, chemist
90.  E.P. Jarrett & Son, butchers
92.  Henry P. Haddow, fruiterer
93a. Mrs Helen Sargeant, ladies hairdresser
93.  Belgravia Dairy Company

(Hallyburton Road)

94.  F. W. Locke & Sons, butchers
95.  Misses E. & H. Fisher, bakers
96.  Miss E. Glenister, confectioner
97.  Kemp, Turner & Victa Radio, wireless engineers
98.  Harold Riddell, shopkeeper
99.  Patrick Mack, fruiterer
100. James E. Pearson, grocer

Directory 1974 – Shops and Businesses

1.   Southern Cross Equipment Co. catering equipment
2.   West Hove Cycles
3.   Jayne’s Dog Centre, pet shop
4.   S. Lewis, gent’s hairdresser
5.   Chocolate Box, confectioner
6.   Pelican, fried fish shop
8.   W.D. Little, butcher
9.   Frederick Dean, woodworker
10.  F.W. Jackson, newsagent
11.  South Coast Antiques
11a. Portslade Paperbacks, bookseller
12a. Grant’s second-hand goods
12.  Hove Surplus Stores

(Seaford Road)

13.  William’s, turf accountant
13b. J.A. Goodwin, watch repairer
15.  Trattoria Calandi, café
16.  H. Grose, photographer
17.  Sanco Ltd. woodworkers
20/22. South Coast Motors
23.  David Pavey, insurance broker
23.  A.W. Sheriff & Co, insurance broker
24.  Health Foods
25.  P.D. Fuels (Corralls) coal & coke merchant
26.  J. & K. Tools, garage equipment
27.  Emerson Ice Cream Parlour
28.  Milton, flooring specialist
30.  Grosvenor Hair Stylist 
31.  Merritt’s, butcher
33.  Joy’s, ladies hairdresser
34.  Grosvenor Stores, grocer
35.  Dial-a-Deal, second-hand dealers
36.  Grieves D.I.Y.
37.  Bistro, restaurant
39/41. Post Office
42.  C. Brewer & Sons, wallpaper merchant
43.  Lesters, baby carriages
44.  Lesters, toy dealers
46.  Charles Odom, watchmaker and jeweller
47.  F. Rosser, ladies hairdresser
48.  Scotts Radio
48.  Hudson, marine services
48.  Dennis Hudson, electrical engineer
49/50.  London & South Eastern Trustee Savings Bank
51.  Laundromat
52.  F.C. Ryan, optician
54.  Barclays Bank

(New Church Road)

55.  F.W.A. Cushman & Son, solicitors
55.  Donald Kenneth Hogg, solicitor
55.  Donald James Edmonds, solicitor
56a.  Lesters, carpet dealers
56.  A. & P. Stallion, turf accountants
57.  Westminster Bank
60.  J.H. Dewhurst, butcher
62.  Flair Fabrics
63.  Kenna, gowns
64.  J.A. Warr, dental surgeon
65.  Forfars, baker
66.  C.D. Keeler, optician
66a. D.J. Englehart, solicitor
66.  D. Mersom, confectioner
67/68. Boots, chemist
69. Timothy White, hardware
70.  Acres the Bakers
71.  Carpenter & Sons, butchers
72.  D.H. Barnard, drug store
72a. Southern (Rag Metal) & Paperworks Ltd. waste paper merchant
72.  P.V. Dalton, timber merchant
73/74. Woolworth’s
75/77. Brighton Equitable Co-operative Society
79.  Threshers, wine merchant
80.  Midland Bank
81.  Andrews, newsagents
82.  Funnell’s, house furnishers
83.  Northampton Shoe Repairs
84.  Greenfield & Son, greengrocers
85/86. Powells Ltd. frozen food shop

(Portland Road)

(Level Crossing)

Ministry of Social Security
87.  W.N. Mercer, tobacconist
87a. Guy Chalmers, turf accountant
88. H.V. Andrews, chemist
91.  D.T. Webb, cycle agent
92.  H.T. Parsons, greengrocer
93.  Asquith self-drive cars
93.  Andys car hire service
93.  Warmsil, double glazing
94.  B.G. Spares, car accessories
96.  Ryder, confectioner
97.  Wally’s D.I.Y.
99a. Kay’s Pet Stores
99.  George White & Co. chartered surveyor, estate agent
100. New City Stores
105. E.H. Royce, dental surgeon

Shops and Businesses in January 2015

1.   Sinnott Green, estate agents
2.   Empty shop
3.   Therapy centre
4.   Essential Hair (Paul Mitchell) was Southdown Fine Arts, framing shop

copyright © J.Middleton 
There is a handsome terrace of houses at the south end of Boundary Road but the shops there have never been as
 busy as the shops further up the road.

5.   Vantage House
6.   Hainault Fish Fryers
7.   Golden Tandoori, restaurant
8.   Sussex Computer Centre
9.   Empty shop, was Henry’s Meat Market (now at 79)
10. Empty shop, was VaNJaM Home
11. Empty shop, was Capital Coin
12-12a. Empty, was Tranquillity in the City, closed 25 January 2014 after 6 ½ years
12b. Empty

(Seaford Road)

13, 13, 14 – private houses
15. Fifth Element, accountancy
16-17. Gyoury Self, consulting engineers
18. Clearwell Mobility
19. Heversham House
20-22. Empty, was Tomorrow’s World

copyright © J.Middleton 
There have been several eateries at number 23 now occupied by Marmaris Kebab House.

23. Marmaris Kebab House
24. Pizza Pasta Hot 4 You
25. Boundary Road Deli
26. Golf Galore.
27. Café An-an
28. Paint Shop
29. Quality Solicitors Howlett Clarke
30. Anna’s Barbershop
31. 1st Format Loft Conversions
32. Access, key and locksmith
33. Tattoo Studio
34. Touch of India, restaurant
35. Phoenix Palace, Chinese takeaway
36-37. Dorrington Heating and Plumbing
38. Private house
39-41. Royal Mail
42. Brighton & Hove Plastics
43. Waggie Tails
44. Holistic Haven
45. Halo Halo, internet café
46. Empty shop, was W.H. Payne electrics

 copyright © J.Middleton
This business at 47 Boundary Road has the most colourful shop-front.

47. Boundary Road Mini Market
48. Cales & Co, residential sales and lettings
49-50. Beauty Spot Studio
Dream Doors
Coucou, café
copyright © J.Middleton 
Looking north up Boundary Road with an unusual business in the foreground.

52. Empty shop, was optician’s
53. Barclays Bank (closed October 2014)
54. Portslade Learning Centre

 (New Church Road)

National Westminster Bank
55.Roar, betting shop

copyright © J.Middleton 
It is rather ironic to find a betting shop next door to a bank.

56. Empty shop
57. Hairstyles
58/59. Store Twenty-one
60. Timpson’s
61. Empty shop (was Clearwell Mobility)
62. Sweet Treats
63. Empty shop (was Camper’s Paradise)

copyright © J.Middleton 
It is clear to see from the gables and unusual upper window design that these buildings were once attractive 
private houses.

64. Scope, charity shop
65. Hairscene
66. Boots Opticians
66b. Tica

 copyright © J.Middleton
This modest shop has been in operation for more than 30 years.

67/ 68. Boots, chemist
69. Oxfam, charity shop
70. Pizza Box

copyright © J.Middleton 
Pizza Box in the centre was once home to Caruso’s Italian restaurant.

71. Sami Swoi, café (from 2016 Eddie's café)
72. £1 Zone
73/74. Iceland (formerly Woolworth’s)
75. KFC, fried chicken
76. Boots, chemist (was George’s)
77. Trade Boundaries
78. Greggs, baker
79. Henry’s Meat Market

 copyright © J.Middleton
Compare this photograph with the old postcard view of The Parade earlier in this article.

80. HSBC, bank
81. Gaming Centre
82. Teba, vegetables, fruit, halal meat

copyright © J.Middleton 
This fruit and vegetable shop caters for all tastes and halal meat is on sale too.

83. Gamestar
84. Seasons, Italian restaurant
85. Oriental Village, restaurant
86. Al Jazeera mini market, also sells halal meat

(Railway line)

87. Cherry’s News
88. Clamp Boxall & Co, accountants and chartered tax advisers
89. Hair Station
90. IVAMMACIEL, Mixed Martial Arts / Brazilian Ju-Jitsu
91. Webbs Cycles, sales /spares/ service / repairs
92. Boundary Road D.I.Y. All wood cut to size
93. Bond Street Carpets, the flooring people

(Hallyburton Road)

94. Coffee Station
95a Mimi’s Bazaar
96. Empty shop
97. Shema Tandoori, Indian takeaway
98. Dogroom
99. Rand & Co, property lettings and acquisitions
100. Ethel & Arthur. We buy old furniture.

copyright © J.Middleton
The ambience of Boundary Road and Station Road has been greatly improved in 2018 by the presence of large containers displaying a variety of plants and flowers. This is due to an initiative by local tradespeople and councillors


Brighton Gazette (7 July 1864 / 13 July 1864)
Census returns
Middleton, J. Encyclopaedia of Hove and Portslade
Hove Gazette (16 April 1898)
Hove Council Minutes
Middleton, J. Hove and Portslade in the Great War (2014)
Middleton, J. Portslade & Hove Memories (2004)

See also Station Road, Portslade, the west side of Boundary Road, Hove

Copyright © J.Middleton 2015
page layout by D.Sharp