12 January 2016

Hove Pubs Index A - B

Listed below:- The Albion, The Alibi, Ancient Mariner, The Bell, Bottom's Rest, Bow Street Runner, Brunswick.
 *******************************************

The Albion, Church Road
  Judy Middleton 2001 revised 2016

copyright © J.Middleton
The Albion is difficult to photograph because it faces north and the bus shelter obscures the view.
It is not known why this pub was so named but it was most probably in honour of a ship. There used to be the hulk of a ship called the Albion beached at nearby Southwick that in the 19th century was a favourite venue for the sale of oysters. By 1841 Albion Street, Southwick had been named after the ship.

There was another Albion too. She was a paddle steamer and in November 1842 under the command of Captain Henry Cheesman she ran down a fishing lugger off Copperas Gap with two men aboard and one drowned.

Peter Akehurst, the first landlord of the Albion Inn as it was called in those days, would have been familiar with both stories because he once lived at Copperas Gap where his son was born.

Later opinion favoured the notion the pub was named after a frigate, that is a fighting vessel of the Royal Navy. There is also the possibility that some ship’s timbers were used in the construction of the pub. It may come as a surprise to some people but recycling is nothing new.

If ship’s timbers were used, then Peter Akehurst would have known about that too. His previous pub was opposite to where the Albion was built and was called the Gardener’s Arms but in fact was no more than a wooden hut. Akehurst moved his licence across the road and he ran the Albion from at least 1854.

On 25 January 1858 a meeting was held at the Albion with the object of promoting and improving west Hove. Lieutenant Colonel John Fawcett was in the chair and he later lived at Albany Villas.

The 1861 census revealed that Peter Akehurst, a licensed victualler aged 58, was born in Tonbridge, Kent. He lived with his wife Harriet, 51 and sons Richard, 23 (store-man) Thomas, 16 (barman) and daughters Ann, 12, Maria, 9 and Martha 7; the last four being born at Hove. Two servants were also employed at the Albion.

By 1871 the Akehursts still had Maria and Martha living with them and they also provided a roof for six lodgers.

In May 1879 the licence was transferred from Akehurst to R.B. Gilbert but by the 1880s John Grinyer was the landlord and he retained the licence for 23 years. Grinyer was born at Southwick and he was a keen yachtsman. He had once owned two yachts and used to win prizes at Shoreham Regatta. In later years Grinyer lived in a house called St Lucia at 22 Walsingham Road and he died aged 81 in January 1936.

copyright © J.Middleton
When the Albion was refurbished in 1912, this mosaic entrance was installed.
Brighton Brewery (Weeks) owned the Albion from 1871 to 1900 and then Tamplin’s took over. In 1912 Tamplin’s applied for planning permission to make additions and alterations. This probably involved remodelling the exterior and making a new entrance incorporating a mosaic on the floor of the entrance with Albion Hotel emblazoned in red and black. The improvements included the use of green tiles on the exterior, which made a striking and original feature. Some years ago there was an ill-advised attempt to cover up these tiles with blue paint but fortunately sense prevailed and the tiles are the original colour once more. It is interesting to note from a letter in the Argus (23 May 2014) that green tiles were apparently the house style favoured by brewers Brickwood and installed in around four pubs at Brighton, including Rose Hill Tavern.

copyright © J.Middleton
This frosted window is a beautiful example of old-time 
pub décor. The cockerel was the trademark of Courage
The beautiful glass must also date from before the First World War. Especially noteworthy are the curved panes because this was the most expensive glass to produce. The pane, which had already been decorated, had to be heated and gently bent with the risk of the whole thing shattering into pieces. The curved glass is decorated with a frosted cockerel, being the Courage trademark.

The Albion had another long-serving landlord in the shape of Frank Winn who took over around the time of the First World War and remained for over 20 years. (It would be interesting to speculate as to whether Frank Winn was related to Henry Winn who was the first landlord of the Aldrington Hotel in the 1880s). In 1940 Mrs Marion Winn was the landlady of the Albion.

After the Second World War Fred Pigott Ltd purchased the Albion. In 1965 Lewis Brandon was the new landlord. He served as a Squadron Leader during the Second World War and wrote a book about his experiences entitled Night Flyer and Winston Churchill praised it warmly. Before the war Brandon pursued an acting career and also acted as a double for such notables as Rex Harrison, Robert Newton and Robert Donat.

Long Service

In January 2016 the Argus announced it was seeking to find the longest-serving landlord or landlady in Sussex. On 7 January 2016 there was a two-page article on the subject and Jeff Fisher, landlord of the Albion, was a leading contender, having been there for 35 years. A rather pleasant reminder of this longevity is that an occasional young man will come in to shake his hand because their father used to dink at the establishment years ago. In fact, it seems that most of the landlords of the Albion were happy to work there for a 20-year stretch.

Jeff Fisher was born in London and was previously the landlord of the Royal Oak, St James’s Street, Brighton. He said when he first came to the Albion he thought it had the atmosphere of a London pub and he has kept it that way. He thinks the gourmet pub is the latest trend and says that there are less than 200 pubs in Brighton and Hove whereas when he arrived in the area in 1980 there were 365.

The article also included a fascinating old photograph featuring the Albion Fruit and Vegetable Store. This was probably next door to the pub and not the pub itself.

According to the Argus (14 December 2016) the last day of the year will also be the end of an era as regards the pub. The 31 December 2016 will see 73-year old Jeff Fisher behind the bar for the last time. He said it was time for him to retire and although  he had seen so many changes in the trade during his 36-year stint he had ‘absolutely loved running the pub.’

The regulars were upset when they heard the news and so were the staff. Emma Blythe said she was devastated; she works behind the bar and said it just would not be the same without Jeff. Like the rest of the staff, she did not want to carry on working for new owners.

Jeff Fisher sold the pub to Enterprise Inns and the Laine Pub Company in the summer. A spokesman said they wanted to ‘add a bit more style to the pub’ but there were no plans yet. All the same, they hoped to start  the refurbishment in the new year with a projected re-opening time of Easter 2017.
 
Sources
Argus
Census returns
Directories
Encyclopaedia of Hove and Portslade
Porter, H. A History of Hove (1897)

Copyright © J.Middleton 2016
******************************************

The Alibi, 22 Victoria Terrace
formerly Kingsway Sunset / Kingsway / St Aubyn’s Hotel / Traveller's Joy.
Judy Middleton 2003 revised 2014

copyright © J.Middleton
Whatever name is chosen for this pub, it will always be viewed as a striking and individual piece of architecture.
It was photographed on 16 April 2014.
This site has seen different uses and different buildings. Originally, there was an establishment known as the Bun House. The 1841 census recorded that Alfred Arnold, aged 23, a baker, grocer and beer seller, lived here with his wife, one daughter and two sons. Also on the premises were Thomas Southon, a 37-year old baker, an errand boy and two servants.

In 1853 local brewers Vallance & Catt purchased the property and although it is claimed they rebuilt it in 1858, it is more likely they refurbished what was already there. They gave the pub the lovely title of Travellers’ Joy Inn. By 1861 Hove-born Thomas Sturt was the landlord. He was aged 37 and he lived with his wife Ann who was two years his junior, three sons and a daughter. (It is interesting to note that the address was identified as Shoreham Road whereas later on it was listed at 5 Alma Terrace and eventually became 22 Victoria Terrace). Ten years later the family were still at the pub but now there were only two sons living at home. A niece and a cousin completed the household.

In 1888 it was recorded that the licensee had to pay £70 a year rent to Vallance & Catt. On 13 December 1881 Charles Catt wrote a letter to Hove Commissioners about setting back the Travellers’ Joy Inn. Catt stated that Mr Tooth, owner of the adjoining premises, had offered him a sum of money towards expenses but negotiations fell through. Mr Catt was now ‘desirous of making alterations to suit a new tenant.’ He wanted to know if Hove Commissioners would provide any money to set back the property, provided he gave up a portion of land on the north side, which projected beyond the building line of the adjacent houses. The Commissioners replied they would give him £100 if the said piece of land were thrown into the public highway. But again nothing seems to have been done.

Meanwhile, in April 1889 James Olliver of Travellers’ Joy Inn, who had been there at least since 1885, was up before the magistrates for adulterating Scotch whisky by 7% and Irish whiskey by 11%. He was fined £1 with costs in each case.

Catt continued to own the pub himself, as distinct from Vallance & Catt, until 1899 when Tamplin’s took over. Henry Stringer was landlord in in 1896 but by 1899 J.A. Brown was behind the bar. There is a famous photograph of Traveller’s Joy Inn taken in around 1905 that has ‘J.A. Brown’ painted on the wall above a window. Mr Brown and his family pose outside and included in the group is Dolly, the horse, with her back legs planted inside the doorway, plus two dogs. There are also advertisements for Tamplin’s Ales and Stout and the pub sold wines and spirits too. It seems clear from the photographs that the pub was converted from two old buildings because there are different roof levels.

On 20 August 1908 Hove Council approved A.B. Packham’s plans submitted on behalf of Tamplin & Son for a completely new pub. Initially the favoured name was Portus Adurni after the supposed local Roman fort or harbour but that was soon dropped in favour of St Aubyn’s Hotel. The new pub is a remarkable looking building and its green dome gives it a distinctive skyline. Torque-like motifs decorate the dome while below are porthole-style windows. The exterior is further embellished with swags, pediments and urn-like mouldings. The west-facing windows are remarkable too. There are three 12-paned windows and underneath are three 19-paned windows. This theme is continued with the southern extension, which looks as though it was a later addition.
 
By 1915 Charles H. Robinson was landlord and he remained there until the 1930s. It would be interesting to know what his reaction was when he heard that Mr J. Glascock was granted permission to keep a pig on his allotment just west of St Aubyn’s Hotel. In 1940 Mrs C.H. Robinson was running the business and in 1947 the name recorded was Mrs M.E. Robinson who was still there in 1958.

In 1964 Tamplin’s relinquished control of St Aubyn’s Hotel.

By 1988 the pub had been renamed Kingsway and Steve Thurgood from Eastbourne was the new landlord. By January 1989 Chris Robinson had revamped the pub again and it was renamed Kingsway Sunset. Mr Robinson claimed it was the area’s first and only true pub and wine bar in one. Downstairs the décor was changed from red walls and mirrors to something a little subtler. Low brick walls created little nooks and crannies and there was a real fire with a bamboo surround. The Sunset Wine Bar was upstairs and Chris created a false balcony behind two louvre doors with a film of a tropical island projected onto the wall. He made the film himself while on holiday in Thailand. There were also pictures of dolphins on the walls as a reminder of the time he was a dolphin trainer at Brighton Aquarium.

In January 1990 it was stated that Watney Truman were going to the High Court in their efforts to evict the landlord while at the same time claiming arrears of £15,000 and possession of the pub.

In 1996 it transpired that Albion Leisure had purchased the pub from Phoenix. The pub’s name reverted to St Aubyn’s and the pub sign depicted a somewhat jolly-looking saint with beard and bald head, holding a tankard in one hand and a crook in the other.

In July 1998 there was a gun alert when someone spotted a man pointing a rifle at a woman as they stood by a window in the upstairs part of the pub. The police arrived on the scene just after 10 p.m. to find the cast of Fur Coat and No Knickers enjoying a drink after rehearsals. The ‘gun’ turned out to be a stage prop and the play was to be performed the following week at the Pavilion Theatre, Brighton.

In November 1999 landlady Janet Richard closed the pub early when she heard the news that 80-year old Daphne Fitzgerald, one of her regulars, had just been killed while trying to cross Kingsway.

In 2001 it was stated that Glenn and Dorinda Lamley owned St Aubyn’s as well as the Whistlestop Inn, Portslade and Kingsway 330, Hove (now Blue Lagoon, formerly Adur Hotel).

By April 2002 the pub had been re-launched as a gastro-pub with the not very appetising name of The Alibi. Katie Stewart, her son Andrew Leask and his business partner Nicholas Hill took over the pub. Katie Stewart, a well-known writer on cookery, was chosen by the Guild of Food Writers as Cookery Journalist of the Year in 2000. She has written cookery columns for The Guardian, BBC Good Food Magazine and the Evening Standard. She was food editor of Woman’s Journal for 30 years, food writer for the Times for fifteen years and has written nine cookery books. She paid visits to the pub to discuss menus with chef Poppy White. Katie stressed that Poppy was chiefly responsible for the menu and was a brilliant cook but they liked to bounce ideas off each other. The pub’s interior had been subject to yet another makeover and was described as ‘spacious, light and gently modern’. It was hoped that by June 2002 there would be an outside bar and garden area.

Sources
Argus
Census Records
Directories
Encyclopaedia of Hove and Portslade
Porter, Henry A History of Hove (1897)

Copyright © J.Middleton 2014
*********************************************

The Ancient Mariner, 59 Rutland Road 
formerly The Rutland
Judy Middleton 2003 revised 2014

copyright © J.Middleton
The Ancient Mariner’s outside seating area is popular in fine weather.
The architect Samuel Denman designed the pub, which was owned by Smithers Brewery from 1896. Harry Washington was the first landlord and it seems probable that he was related to Frank Washington who was the first landlord of the Kendal Arms in Payne Avenue (now called The George Payne). In 1915 Frank’s son Charles Washington was wounded at Gallipoli; he lost his left foot and his right leg was badly injured too. Charles’s brother Frank Washington ran the Eagle Inn, Arundel. There was yet another Washington in Hove; he was George Washington who was landlord of Sackville Hotel (now Hove Park Tavern) from around 1902 to 1907.

By 1915 J. Rowe had taken over as landlord. Henry George Smith was in charge all through the 1920s and he was still there in 1930. In 1929 there was a change in ownership when Tamplin’s bought out Smithers Brewery.

By 1935 Reginald Lynn was at the helm and he was still there in 1947 but by 1951 Mrs Barbara Lynn was behind the bar with Thomas W. Caldicott following by 1954. Tamplin’s retained ownership until 1964 when they went out of business.

In March 1990 Stewart Belcher was landlord when it was reported that regulars had raised over £1,000 to purchase a guide dog for the blind. The dog was to be named Ruby after the pub’s oldest customer, namely 86-year old Ruby Sallis. She handed over a cheque for £1,144 to Brighton & Hove Albion’s Steve Gatting who accepted on behalf of the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association.

In recent times the pub has been renamed Ancient Mariner. In May 2005 it was stated that Zelgrain Ltd owned The Ancient Mariner and had applied to extend the opening hours until 2 a.m. at the weekend and 1 a.m. during the week. Naturally enough, local residents were horrified at the prospect.

copyright © J.Middleton
The pub’s swinging sign is rather a puzzle. Is it supposed to be a wing belonging to an albatross?
An allusion, perhaps, to Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s famous poem The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. 
But sailors thought killing an albatross was an unlucky thing to do.

Sources
Argus
Directories
Encyclopaedia of Hove and Portslade

Copyright © J.Middleton 2014
*****************************************************

Bottom's Rest, 16 Lower Market Street 
formerly The Conqueror
Judy Middleton 2001 revised 2014


copyright © J.Middleton
The Conqueror was built in the 1860s and unlike many Hove pubs it has managed to hang on to its original name.
The pub in Lower Market Street was established in the late 1860s and by 1871 William Reynolds was the landlord. H. Dyer took over in 1875 but Samuel Flint was by far the longest serving landlord as he was in charge from at least 1898 until the late 1920s. The pub’s clientele included sporting types and it served as the headquarters of Hove Western Star Football Club as well as Brighton Mitre Cycling Club. In May 1898 Hove Western Star Football Club held their annual dinner there and their host and hostess, Mr and Mrs Samuel Flint, served up an ‘excellent repast’.

The brewers Kidd & Hotblack owned the Conqueror from 1884 to 1926 before selling out to Tamplin’s who kept it until 1964 when Courage took over.

Meanwhile, after Samuel Flint’s long tenure, there was a quick turnover in landlords. R. Dillon was there by 1930, followed by William Tait in around 1935 and F.W. Hutter in 1947. Frederick Terrance George was in charge in 1951 followed by Albert Pond in around 1954.

Then came a more settled time when John and Muriel Phelps arrived in 1968 to take over the management and stayed until 1992. They became well known characters in the locality and Muriel was famous for her red hair. She was born in Evelyn Terrace, Kemp Town, Brighton and on leaving school she did not go straight into the hospitality business but began her career in an accounts office. Later on she became head receptionist at the Bedford Hotel and also worked at the Albany Club in Hove.

In 1992 Courage Breweries informed the Phelps that they were selling the Conqueror. The Phelps had no option but to leave because they could not afford to buy the property themselves. It also transpired they were not entitled to compensation because they were tenants and not employees. But the Licensed Victuallers’ Association stepped in and offered them a flat. Regulars and neighbours held a farewell party for them and Councillor Bob Bailey commented ‘John and Muriel are an institution round here.’ The Phelps left in July 1992.

Muriel was not one for retiring just yet and so she worked occasionally at the Freemasons Tavern and finished off with a stint at the Ship in Hove Street. Muriel lived in Langdale Gardens for the last few years of her life, next door to her friend Barbara White who had been behind the bar in the Duke of Wellington, Waterloo Street for 24 years. John Phelps died in 2002 and Muriel died on 1 March 2005.

Meanwhile, the Conqueror was up for sale in October 1993. It was advertised as a freehold free house and offers in the region of £130,000 were invited. But it was not until February 1998 that the establishment had finished being refurbished and there was new carpeting and new panelling in the bar as well. Local resident Flo Stone aged 92 was invited to cut the ribbon. She lived near the pub where she had enjoyed drinking her gin and tonic for the past 20 years. She had also celebrated her 80thand 90th birthdays at the pub. Landlord Alex Korobin said ‘she is a great character.’

In the Evening Argus (15 May 1999) columnist Rowan Dore wrote an article about the pub in which he said that the Conqueror was once described in a guide as one of the worst pubs in town. Not to mention Courage’s sign writer who got into a tangle with his spelling and wrote Conquerer on one side of the sign.   

But new life was breathed into the pub by lottery money showered on the nearby Old Market and Stephen Neiman from the Old Market took over the pub. When the Hanover Band was based at the Old Market, the Conqueror became their favourite watering hole.

In the Sussex Drinker (Summer 2014) it was revealed that the pub had changed its name to the extraordinary title Bottom’s Rest. Perhaps it was chosen to emphasize its earthy roots in contrast to grand buildings in Brunswick Square, which once housed the upper crust. At Bottom’s Rest customers could sample such delights as Rosie Pig Cider, Arundel Gold and Harvey’s Best.

Sources
Argus
Census Returns
Directories
Encyclopaedia of Hove and Portslade

Sussex Drinker (Summer 2014)

Copyright © J.Middleton 2014
**************************************************

Bow Street Runner, 62 Brunswick Street West
formerly The Station Inn. 
Judy Middleton 2003 revised 2014

copyright © J.Middleton
The Bow Street Runner is the tiniest pub at Hove.
But it has an impressive, hanging pub sign.
The Brunswick Street West pub first appeared in the Directories in 1867 and William Pennicott was the landlord. On 1stSeptember 1871 Eliza Barnett, a Brighton widow, granted a 35-year lease at £24 a year on the Station Inn to John Mills Kidd and Frederick James Kidd, brewers; the firm was later known as Kidd & Hotblack. At the foot of the deed there is a short note ‘Bar, Match Boarding round Bar part painted plain color (sic) part grained – water cask supply pipe and tap’. It is interesting to note colour was spelt the American way. At around the same time Eliza Barnett granted leases to the Brunswick Inn and Brunswick Cellars Beer House, both in Holland Road, Hove and eleven Brighton pubs.

The Station Inn was and is the tiniest pub in Hove. Consequently it had the least rateable value of any licensed premises in Hove. In 1897 its rateable value stood at a lowly £32 a year. This compares with the huge premises of the Sussex Hotel or the Cliftonville Hotel (now ironically The Station) that were rated at £320 each.

W. Young was the landlord in the 1870s and by 1885 C. Alexander was in charge followed by Frederick Lindfield in around 1896. The latter must have died while still a publican because by 1905 Mrs F. Lindfield had taken over. Charles Thomas Alexander became landlord in around 1910 and possibly he had a previous connection with the pub. He stayed until the 1920s and by 1930 Frederick G. Pudney was behind the bar. Mrs Alice E. Pudney ran the pub during the 1940s and was still there in 1951. By 1958 Alfred Knapp had taken over.

The station of the pub’s title referred not to a railway station but to the fact the premises were converted from the old Brunswick Police and Fire Station. Over the years the landlord’s smile became somewhat fixed when a customer enquired about the time of the next train. In this case it is quite understandable that the pub’s name should be changed to spare those running the place from the pain of stale jokes. The new name chosen in the 1960s was very apt considering the historical circumstances – it was the Bow Street Runner.

The Bow Street Runners were the first recognised police force in London. The chief magistrate at Bow Street, near Covent Garden, was responsible for organising them in the mid-18thcentury. In one of his letters Charles Dickens wrote ‘I remember them very well as standing about the door of the office in Bow Street. They had no other uniform than a blue dress-coat, brass buttons … and a bright red cloth waistcoat … the slang name for them was Redbreasts in consequence.’

Kidd & Hotblack continued to own the pub until 1926 when Tamplin’s took over. Tamplin’s lasted until 1965. By 1969 Dodo Hickman was licensee of the pub. Her previous career had seen her earning a living on the stage as a dancer, singer and contortionist. It was obvious greasepaint was in her blood because her father Harry Wills was one of the Keystone Cops in early Hollywood days. She kept a sulphur-crested white cockatoo called Cheeky as the pub mascot.

In April 1989 Jerry and Tania Vasse moved into the pub. Neither of them had run a pub before but Jerry’s knowledge as a builder came in useful when transforming the pub. The interior was refurbished with blue seating and hand painted marble-effect on the walls. Tania undertook the home cooking and nothing on the menu was more expensive than £2.

In 1994 Robbie Roberts became landlord and in 1999 he was still in charge of the Courage / Inntrepeneur house. There were no games machine or television and no food was served except for hot snacks on Sunday.

Sources
Argus
Directories
Encyclopaedia of Hove and Portslade

Copyright © J.Middleton 2014
*************************************************************

Brunswick, 3 Holland Road
formerly Brunswick Inn.
 Judy Middleton 2001 revised 2014

copyright © J.Middleton
The Brunswick was rebuilt in 1938 on the site of an older inn and stables.
The style of architecture is unique among Hove pubs. The photograph was taken on 3 May 2014.
During its long history the hostelry has been known as Brunswick Inn and Brunswick Hotel. There has also been a variation in its address because it was once 1A Holland Road while in the censuses of 1861 and 1871 it was listed as 43 Brunswick Terrace although officially there were only 42 houses in Brunswick Terrace.

Brighton builder John Hayles was responsible for erecting The Brunswick, which according to Henry Porter opened for business on 4 September 1834. On 3 May 1834 a lease was drawn up between Jacob Boys of Brighton and John Barnett who was already occupying the premises. The lease was to run for a period of fourteen years at an annual rent of £237-10s. It is interesting to note that also in 1834 Jacob Boys mortgaged the property for £3,150 to William Meyrick.

John Barnett was a brewer and he and his wife ran the inn for many years. In 1851 he was aged 49 and his sister and one servant were also living in the house. During the 1850s John Barnett installed a manager to take care of things. Somerset-born Francis Mathews moved in with his wife Ann and two nieces. Matthews was still running the show in 1871 but it seems that Barnett had died.

On 5 March 1853 an inquest was held at Brunswick Inn into a case of suspected infanticide after a small body was found in a field behind Adelaide Crescent. It was not uncommon for inquests to be held at pubs because they were often the nearest building to the crime with sufficient space to accommodate many people.

John Barnett must have made a success of his business because in 1871 Eliza Barnett granted leases for eleven Brighton pubs and three Hove properties. The latter included Station Inn, Brunswick Street West and the properties at Holland Road. In fact two separate leases were required for the Holland Road properties. Both were dated 1stSeptember 1871 to brewers John Mills Kidd and Frederick James Kidd (the firm later became Kidd & Hotblack). One lease was for Brunswick Cellars Beer House at £40 a year and the other was for Brunswick Inn Public House at £200 a year. Obviously the Barnetts had their feet firmly planted in both camps – the beer house for the cheap end of the market and the inn for a more select clientele. Eventually Kidd & Hotblack came to own the premises, which they did not sell until 1909.

copyright © J.Middleton
In this wonderful old view a Bath chair can be seen on the right near the pink umbrella.
This was the sort of vehicle that could be hired from the Brunswick in Victorian times.
William Tansley was running the business in 1875 and 1876 but by 1879 William Young was the landlord, besides being a livery stable keeper. In 1889 Young applied to Hove Commissioners for a hackney carriage licence to cover a third-class hand-chair (number 7) to be transferred to him from Michael Barry and for a similar licence for a third-class hand-chair (number 41) to be transferred to him from Richard Morse. These hand-chairs were invalid carriages, later more generally known as Bath chairs, which a man would pull or push along the seafront to give invalids the benefit of sea air. At the same time Young’s licence for a second-class victoria (number 124) was transferred to George Hill Whiting.

William Young, aged 46, was still running the inn early in 1891 and he lived there with his wife Esther, aged 39, their two-year old son William, one niece, one ostler, four coachmen and one indoor servant. Meanwhile, in the same year widow Mrs Ann Wooller ran Brunswick Cellars Beer House. She lived there with her son, daughter-in-law and three grand-daughters.

In October 1891 Emmanuel Bennison of Brunswick Hotel applied to Hove Commissioners for licences to run nine first-class landaus and the licences were duly transferred to him from William Young.  

By 1899 Mrs Elizabeth Bennison was running the inn and livery stables, which had a long frontage extending northwards from the inn. Mrs Elizabeth Bennison continued to run things until around 1915 when Bertram Bennison took over. By 1925 there was another Mrs E. Bennison in the saddle but she was Mrs Ethel Bennison and she was still there in 1930. By 1935 Cecil Bennett was the landlord and Mrs Hetty Bennett ran the pub during the 1950s.

Meanwhile Tamplin’s acquired TheBrunswick in 1925 and they were responsible for the complete rebuilding of the pub in 1938. The interior was fitted up in grand style with different types of fine woods plus veneer and sapele panelling. The design of the saloon bar was reputed to be the work of a man who was responsible for the interior décor of the Queen Mary. Tamplin’s sold the Brunswick in 1963.

In 1971 Roy and Mary Jefferies were the new landlords. Roy Jefferies had been a producer and Red Coat entertainer at Butlin’s and he was also a member of Sam Ross Minstrels that had toured Australia and New Zealand. He used to put on a nightly show at The Brunswick and sometimes he would black-up to sing an Al Johnson number. He became famous for his radio cookery programmes hosting Roy’s Recipes in the Cheap and Cheerful Kitchen. He was also landlord of the Downsman. He died at his Brighton home on 22 April 1991.

In 1982 Shahin and Sarah Vaziri became managers of The Brunswick. Whilst sorting out the cellar Mrs Vaziri came across an old framed certificate relating to a poetry competition, which had been awarded to George Bennett. As she rubbed dust off the glass, she had the strange feeling she was being watched and there was a sudden fall in temperature. When she mentioned her experience to some regulars, she was told that moving the framed certificate disturbed the ghost of George Bennett. By the time Ron Crossley and his wife took over management of the pub in 1994, the certificate was nowhere to be found but that did not stop odd happenings on the premises, such as unexplained bumps upstairs and lights being switched off unexpectedly.

By 1996 Scottish & Newcastle owned The Brunswick, as well as four other Hove pubs – Hove Park Tavern, Palmeira Hotel, Wick Inn and Hedgehog and Hogshead. By 1999 the company owned nearly 550 pubs, pub-restaurants and hotels plus nineteen Lodge Inns.

On 11 April 1999 pop group Status Quo gave a performance at The Brunswick before some 200 fans. Some of them were so keen to get in that they queued from 3 a.m. to buy tickets. Lead singer Francis Rossi said ‘The Brunswick is a really good venue compared with some of the places we have played. The stage is really big.’ Pub boss Ron Crossley, aged 40, said it was a dream come true as he was a big fan himself and had purchased all their records. By 1999 Status Quo had achieved more than 50 chart hits.

copyright © J.MiddletonThe Brunswick also has a large outdoor seating area,
which is very popular in the summer.
In the Evening Argus (8 September 1999) David Edwards wrote an uncomplimentary article about the pub labelling it a ‘tooth-ache of a hostelry’ and said it was his least favourite pub in the whole of Sussex. He could not even bear to spend long enough there to compile his usual price list. He thought the pub had an American theme but he could not be sure. At any rate there was a battered guitar on the wall plus a Harley Davidson sign and two football helmets. There were four pool tables and a huge TV screen showing pop videos. He also disliked the sight of a female pensioner enjoying a glass of Guinness with six bags of shopping at her feet.

In the Evening Argus (2 March 2001) it was stated Scottish & Newcastle were about to sell The Brunswick, which was just one of the 920 pubs they were putting on the market.     

Sources
Argus
Census Records
Encyclopaedia of Hove and Portslade
Porter (Henry) History of Hove (1897)
  
Copyright © J.Middleton 2014
page layout by D.Sharp