22 December 2021

Pembroke Crescent, Hove

 Judy Middleton 2002 (2021)

copyright © J.Middleton
Pembroke Crescent


Background


Pembroke Crescent and Pembroke Avenue were developed at the same time. Indeed, the plans for the two drawn up by Clayton & Black were presented to the Hove Commissioners for planning permission on the same day – 16 May 1895. However, it seems the Commissioners were unimpressed, and turned them both down. It did not take long for the firm to make amendments, and back they went to the Hove Commissioners with the plans being duly approved on 6 June 1895.

copyright © Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove
Brighton Herald
18 May 1895

Building work then went ahead, and on 4 January 1900 the Borough Surveyor was able to state that 43 houses had been built, and 36 of them were occupied. He also stated that there was only one lamp in the road, but if the occupants were willing to pay for more lamps to be installed, then Hove Corporation would undertake to light them. By 1916 there were 86 occupied houses in Pembroke Crescent.

copyright © Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove
Brighton Herald
18 May 1912
(The average annual salary in 1910 it was £70 for men
and £30 for women for working a 55 hour week)

Part of the road between Sackville Road and the east side of Pembroke Avenue was declared a public highway in 1903, while the rest followed suit in 1914.

Trees

Pembroke Crescent was well endowed with trees by the Vallance Estate. In fact, many residents thought there were rather too many of them. The Borough Surveyor reported to Hove Council that there were an astonishing 130 trees made up of the following species:

60 elms

32 sycamores

14 poplars

14 chestnuts

Others not identified

The distance between the trees varied from 6-ft to 60-ft, and the Borough Surveyor suggested that those closer together than 25-ft ought to be felled, but not all at once.

Today the trees are so mature that in summer months it is quite difficult to appreciate the houses because they are so over-shadowed. Also, by August 2021 the pavements in the Pembroke area were heavily garnished with overgrown weeds to such an extent as to be a hazard to the unwary pedestrian. Indeed, one visitor complained that her visit to Hove had been ruined by the state of the pavements in the Pembrokes. It is always easy to blame Covid-19 but it is the policy of Brighton & Hove City Council to forbid the use of all pesticides while at the same time reducing weeding and cutting-back to once a year, if you’re lucky.

In the Front Line

copyright © Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove
The bombing raid on the Pembroke roads was probably a miss directed attack on Hove Gas Works in Church Road.
Sadly, Mr Albert Charles was killed on 15 July 1940 by a bomb that fell in Pembroke Gardens, whilst he was cycling home from his workplace, the North Road Postal Sorting Office in Brighton.

Pembroke Crescent has the unenviable distinction of being one of the first sites in Brighton and Hove to receive the attention of the Luftwaffe during the Second World. It was not the first bombing raid because two bombs fell on West Hove Golf Course on 30 June 1940 but there were no casualties. The second bombing occurred on 15 July 1940 when nine high-explosive bombs fell on the Pembroke and New Church Road areas, causing five people to be seriously injured, and one fatality.

It is a much celebrated ‘faction’ that David Lindsay, the cult author of A Voyage to Arcturus, who was calmly sitting in his bath in Pembroke Crescent when a bomb struck the house, never recovered from the shock and soon died. In fact, although his nerves might have been badly shaken up, the cause of death in 1946 was a tooth abscess, which poisoned his body. (For more biographical information on Lindsay, please see under ‘Pembrokes and Fantasy Fiction’ at the end of this page.)

copyright © J.Middleton
A wartime bomb hit this house

Edna Best (1900-1974) – She was born in a house called Redcliff in Pembroke Crescent – at the time there were several houses that were known just by name, and were not numbered.
copyright © Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove
Brighton Herald 22 April 1911
Edna Best in King John aged 11 at Hove Town Hall.
Edna was a pupil at the Hove Academy of Music in
Church Road
, Hove.

Edna was educated locally, and it is tempting to speculate exactly where she honed her swimming skills – was it in the sea, or the local swimming baths, or both? Wherever it was was, it was enough to earn her a silver cup and the accolade of the lady swimming champion of Sussex. Another of her talents was producing ceramics that she liked to decorate in Art Deco style.

Today, she is chiefly remembered as an actress of stage and the silver screen, having attended the Guildhall School of Music to study acting under Miss Kate Roorke. She enjoyed a long career, appearing in films, both in Britain and in Hollywood and is best remembered as the mother in The Man who Knew Too Much – the 1934 version produced by Alfred Hitchcock. But from 1940, she forged a parallel career as a radio producer and the Sherlock Holmes series with Basil Rathbone will always be associated with her.

Edna Best certainly lived a Hollywood life-style, managing to fit three marriages into her busy life. Her first husband was fellow-actor Seymour Beard (divorced 1928); in the same year she married Herbert Marshall (divorced 1940). Her third marriage took place in Las Vegas on 7 February 1940 to Nat Wolff. It is amusing to note that the same judge who presided over the divorce, also performed the marriage ceremony a few minutes later. Edna Best had twin sons and a daughter. Her third husband died before she did.

copyright © National Portrait Gallery, London
Edna Best by Howard Instead,1920s
NPG Ax24980

Mr Henry Gilpin
the former Paymaster in Chief of the Royal Navy lived at Kentmere, Pembroke Crescent, from 1901 until 1903.

Bernard Albert Quaritch (1871-1913) lived at Fuji-San, Pembroke Crescent from 1905 until 1911, he was the owner of the World famous book antiquarians, the Bernard Quaritch Company.
Bernard Albert inherited the company at the age of 28 from his German born father Bernard Alexander Christian Quaritch (1819-1899), who had founded the company in London in 1847 and at his death in 1899, The Times described Bernard A. C. Quaritch as ‘the greatest bookseller who ever lived’. From 1911 until his early death at the age of 42 in 1913, Bernard Albert Quaritch lived at Myrton Lodge in New Church Road. After his death the company was passed on to his sisters.

House Notes

Number 7Cyril Edgar Frodsham Starkey lived at this address in 1916 and was the author of Verse Translations from Classic Authors (1895), which is still in print today.
His wife, Muriel, was the daughter of James Warnes Howlett (1828-1911) the former Chairman of Hove Commissioners.

copyright © Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove
The Brighton Graphic ran a series of articles entitled 'Local Celebrities'
in the 11 November 1915 edition, the life stories of Cyril and Muriel Starkey
was featured.

Mr and Mrs Starkey were Brighton and Hove socialites. They hosted exclusive parties and their attendance at public and private events was constantly reported in the local press.

In 1915 the Brighton Season Magazine reported on Cyril Starkey, ‘His family has been known in Brighton for many years, and there are few who know the town better, or whose interests are more catholic. He first came to Brighton in 1872, and was educated at Brighton College and graduated from Pembroke College, Oxford in classics with a first-class honours. Afterwards he held the position of Head Master of Edinburgh Collegiate School, while more recently he was Senior Classical Master at Brighton College which he relinquished this year, to the great regret of all his fellow workers.’ Starkey was active in local politics, notably the Primrose League.'

The 11 November 1915 Brighton Graphic reported on Mrs Muriel Starkey, ‘she belonged to a family whose name will ever illumine the annals of Hove as benefactors in more ways than one, her father, the late Mr Howlett, bestowing a widely valued interest in the borough, which embraced any movement for its furtherance and ultimate good.’

copyright © Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove
Brighton Graphic 23 March 1916

On the 23 July 1916
Cyril Edgar Frodsham Starkey (aged 53) petitoned to divorce his wife Muriel (aged 54), they had lived apart for some while at Cyril’s instigation, but the judge at the High Court of Justice (Divorce) found in favour of Muriel on the 15 December 1916 and a Decree Return to Conjugal Rights (divorce denied) was served on Cyril, who also had to pay all legal costs of his wife.

In 1920 Mrs Muriel Starkey left England for a new life in Upper Beaconsfield, Victoria, Australia. In Upper Beaconsfield, Muriel was still active on the social scene holding Christmas parties for children from the district and other events at her home.
Muriel returned to England in 1928 and lived out the rest of her life in Bognor Regis, where she died in 1936.

Number 26Colonel John Henry Twiss C.B., C.B.E. (1867-1941) was the son of Lieut.-Colonel Godfrey Twiss, R.A., and was born on 12th June, 1867 in Bombay, India. He lived at 26 Pembroke Crescent from 1918 until 1929. After graduating from the Royal Military Academy, he became a much travelled Army Engineering Officer. In the late 1880s he was involved in defence work in Bombay and Aden. On his return to India he was the Assistant Engineer for the building of the Zhob Valley railway and in 1892 he became the Assistant Engineer for the State Railways at Moradabah. By 1899 he was in China for 6 months but at the outbreak of the Boer War he was sent to South Africa as Assistant Director of railways. After the Boer War he returned to India, and in 1910 he was posted to Aldershot. At the outbreak of the Great War, John Twiss was stationed in France to facilitate the running of the army’s railway. Early in the War he returned to England and was appointed Commander of the Royal Engineers at Brighton, from where he organised the defence of the County of Sussex and oversaw the building of army camps at Seaford, Shoreham and Crowborough and Military Hospitals in Sussex. Colonel John Twiss died in Camberley in 1941.

copyright © Mr G. Osborne
Shoreham Army Camp on Slonk Hill, was one of the many military facilities that Colonel Twiss was responsible for setting up.

Number 38Captain Arthur Bartlett Wales MC was a true Hove man, having been educated at Hove High School, and he later lived in this house. He was one of the few Hove councillors who saw active service during the First World War. He was elected a councillor in 1913 but then spent four years in the Army. He was remarkably lucky to return home unscathed because he was involved in action in France, Belgium and Italy, serving through the Battle of the Somme, the 3rd Battle of Ypres, and at the Passechendale Ridge. In 1918 he was awarded the Military Cross and the Italian Croce de Guerra; he was also Mentioned in Dispatches three times.

copyright © J.Middleton
Captain Wales lived in this house

In December 1928 there was a special auctioneers’ lunch at the First Avenue Hotel to celebrate Wales being elected Mayor of Hove, the first member of their profession to receive such an honour; he was Mayor of Hove from 1928 to 1930. In civilian life he ran an estate agent’s business at 173 Church Road, Hove, for more than forty years, retiring in 1949. Wales was also a member of the Hove Mummers, Aldrington Dramatic Society, and Aldrington Hockey Club. He died at the age of 68 in February 1953.

Number 50 – At this house lived Mrs Doris Capper (nee White) the widow of a brave soldier killed in the First World War. It is not known why she came to Hove because before the war the Cappers lived at 28 & 29 St Swithin’s Lane, London, and The Ferns, Thames Ditton, Surrey, which suggests that they were comfortably off; he was involved in a firm by the name of Cappers & Hobson. Perhaps she just wanted to establish a new life with her new surname because her husband had taken the trouble to change his surname from Friedlander to Capper on 10 December 1914, no doubt to avoid anti-German prejudice. He was after all a British-born citizen with London as his birthplace. Doris’s husband, Ernest Raphael, was born on 21 January 1882 to Henry Friedlander (born 1850 in Germany) and Sarah Scheinberg (born 1853 in London). Mr Friedlander was a tailor by trade, and it seems he came over to this country to better himself, and join a German community already living here. However, war fever and hostility to anybody with a German surname was endemic. There was a famous case locally; Hove-born Isolde Menges, who had been a famous child violin prodigy, found the atmosphere so poisonous that she took ship for the United States and stayed there for three years before returning home. The Menges family were far too well known to indulge in name-changing.

It may also be that Capper’s decision made it easier for him to join the ranks of the British Army where he soon became Captain Ernest Raphael Capper. He was involved in a gallant rearguard action at the Battle of Cambrai on 30 November 1917 but was severely wounded, and taken prisoner. He was moved to the Catholic Brothers Home in Koblenz where he died of sepsis on 24 December 1917. It is rather touching that the people looking after him must have known of his Jewish faith, and he probably spoke fluent German; therefore he was laid to rest at the Jewish Cemetery in Koblenz. In a way, it was the closing of a circle because 67 years after his father was born in Germany, his son was buried in Germany.

Capper must have been an inspiring leader because he was awarded the Military Cross after his death; the citation runs as follows:

‘For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. After the enemy had secured a footing in a portion of our trench he organised a bombing raid with his platoon and cleaned them out, and when the original bombers had sustained casualties and were too tired to throw bombs accurately, he collected a fresh squad of men from another unit and attacked again. His excellent leading, clear orders, and great coolness under fire, very largely contributed to the success of the attack.’ (Additional research by D. Sharp)

Number 62 – It is interesting to note that this spacious house served two separate stints as a nursing home. From around 1947 until the late 1960s the establishment was under the care of Mrs Carpenter, while from around 1970 until at least 1978 it was the aptly-named Cornerways Nursing Home.

Number 68 Colonel Newdigate Addington Knightley Burne OBE was the nephew of William Addington M.P., the Viscount Sidmouth and he lived in Pembroke Crescent from 1915 until 1920. Colonel Burne served in the Indian Army at various locations, Burma twice, 1887-1889 and 1893-1894, the Relief of Chitral in 1895 and the British Expedition to Tibet 1903-1904. At the outbreak of the Great War, Colonel Burne was the Commander of  the Sussex Volunteer Training Corps and the Hove Battalion of Home Protection Brigade. In 1915 he was appointed Commander of the King’s Royal Rifles in France, for his war service in France; he was awarded the O.B.E.

copyright © Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove
Brighton Graphic 28 October 1915

Number 71

Percy Cochrane (1872-1918) whose stage name was Phil Ray, lived at this address from 1916 until 1918, he was a popular comedian and all round Music Hall performer. His wife was Ellen (Nellie) Wigley a Music Hall performer and actress. Phil Ray and Nellie regularly appeared on stage with Vesta Tilley. Sadly Phil Ray died in December 1918 aged 40 in Hammersmith, a victim of the flu epidemic that was sweeping the country then.

copyright © Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove
Articles from the Brighton Graphic for 30 December 1915 and the Brighton Herald for 28 October 1916, In the Great War there were regulations for black-outs on windows at night, because of the fear of aerial bombings from German Zeppelins.

Number 77
Prince George Imeretinsky (1897-1972). One does not expect to find a member of the Georgian royal family living in a quiet Hove street in 1920, especially since he was born in such august surroundings as the Tsarskoye Selo Palace in St Petersburg. But then it is also a surprise to discover that Prince George and his two younger brothers, Prince Mikheil and Prince Constantine. all attended Lancing College. How satisfying for the headmaster to be able to include three princes in his roll of Old Boys.
copyright © D. Sharp
Lancing College

Prince George was the godson of the ill-fated Nicholas II who was later brutally killed with other members of the Russian royal family by the Bolsheviks. It was Tsar Nicholas’s mother, the Dowager Empress Maria Feodorovna, who managed to pull strings in order for Prince George to be given a commission in the 1st Battalion, Grenadier Guards. It would be interesting to know what other officers thought about this but no doubt Prince George’s public school background enabled him to settle in. He served during the First World War and was wounded at the Somme. He remained in the Army until 1920. It seems that his two brothers had joined the RAF when it was still known as the Royal Flying Corps, and it was the RAF that Prince George joined, later becoming an officer.

Indeed, aeroplanes and cars were something of a passion, and within racing circles Prince George became a well-known figure. In 1925 he married Avril Nancy Mullens but the marriage was not a success and they divorced. It is what happened to Avril afterwards that is so fascinating because her next choice of husband was Ernest Simpson, the ex-husband of Wallis who had taken up with the Prince of Wales and later became the Duchess of Windsor. Prince George’s second wife was Margaret Venetia Nancy Strong.

Number 77A Orchard House – According to Judah Lixenberg the house was built in 1926 and incorporated the stables formerly belonging to Brooker Hall. Apparently, there were still cobbles on the kitchen floor, and he thought the cobbles once extended to an archway leading to Westbourne Street. The house was designed by S. G. Gee on behalf of a Mr Williams. The story goes that Orchard House was built for his daughter by the man living at number 79.

Number 79 – It is said that the man living in this house built Orchard House at 77A for his daughter.

Number 81 – This house occupies what had been the driveway leading to the stables of Brooker Hall. Old deeds record that the premises were limited to the use of a two-horse brougham.

Number 81Lieutenant Colonel Charles a' Court Remington (1858-1925). It is safe to say that this gentleman was something of a stormy petrel, seeming to trail controversy and scandal in his wake wherever he went. But this was not apparent in his early military career when he saw service with the Rifle Brigade in Afghanistan, Burma and the Sudan. Then he returned to England and attended the Staff College at Camberley. Since he was noted as being a brilliant student there was every expectation he would rise to the highest ranks, and two of his peers did just this - they were General Herbert Plumer and General Horace Smith-Dorrien. Remington became a staff officer during the Second Boer War 1899-1901.

However, Remington’s upward trajectory was halted when he fell madly in love with a married woman, Lady Mary Garsin, in the 1890s. The lapse was confounded by the fact that the lady’s husband was a fellow-officer, and therefore at least two moral codes were being broken. Lady Mary’s family intervened to try and save the situation by persuading a family friend, Henry Wilson, to exact an oath from Remington that he would desist from the affair. Since this oath or ‘parole’ was sworn upon Remington’s honour as an officer and a gentleman on 9 October 1899, it was a serious commitment.

All was going well until Remington heard that Lady Mary’s husband was spreading rumours about him. An infuriated Remington went to see Wilson and told him that he was rescinding his vow because of Garsin’s behaviour, and this meeting took place in 1901. Later on, Wilson would claim that he did not, or did not choose to, remember such an occasion. Meanwhile, Remington was posted to Egypt, and, unwisely, resumed his relationship with Mary. His superiors soon found out what was happening, and were so furious at such ungentlemanly behaviour that Remington was forced to resign on 2 January 1902. Remington returned to England, fuming, and in disgrace, bearing a grudge against Wilson, and if ever the opportunity arose to dish dirt against Wilson, Remington would seize it. But at least he was allowed to retain the rank of lieutenant colonel. Incidentally, Remington did indeed marry Mary, and they had a daughter. But it was his second marriage.

Remington later became a war correspondent, firstly with the Morning Post (1902-1904) and then with The Times (1904-1918); characteristically, he left the latter post after a row with Lord Northcliffe. Remington’s role as a war correspondent was right up his street, both because of his intimate knowledge of the military and his strong opinions. He resented the pre-eminence given to the Royal Navy, and thus crossed swords with the charismatic Admiral Fisher, because he thought the Army should be much larger. He was also prescient in detecting German aggression while others chose to ignore it. Remington caused a major rumpus when he noted that the British Army had been put at a grave disadvantage during the First World War because they were not supplied with sufficient artillery ammunition. The disclosure caused a political scandal, questions in the House, and the establishment of a separate department to oversee future supplies.

It also helped that Remington had friends in high places, and because of it, he ws able to come up with information not available to other correspondents. In particular, he was friends with Sir John French, commander-in-chief of the British Expeditionary Force. However, the friendship was of no advantage to Sir John, and indeed helped facilitate his removal from the scene.

Later on it was said that no respectable gentleman could be seen walking down the road with Remington. This was because he made one disclosure too far, and was hauled before the Bow Street Magistrates’ Court in February 1918 charged with an offence under the Defence of the Realm Act 1914. Moreover Remington was found guilty, but he coolly claimed there were more spectators crammed into the court than at any trial since that of Dr Crippen.

Remmington continued to write books, which not surprisingly became best-sellers. The books might have titillated the general public, but they also cost him the loss of more friends, furious at what they perceived to be private conversations appearing in print.

Remington died on 25 May 1925 at this house, also known as Pembroke Lodge, and was buried in Hove Cemetery.

Miscellaneous

The White Lodge Rest Home closed down on 17 June 2002. Cheryl and Steve Bennett had run the establishment for twenty-one years, but were forced into closure because of under-funding, rising costs, and strict new regulations.

copyright © J.Middleton
The Pembroke area provides an imposing array of white orbs atop red-brick pillars

Captain Robert Willimason – In 1995 Captain Williamson was 104 years old, and was reckoned to be one of the oldest inhabitants of Sussex. He died in August 1995 at the Alexandra Rest Home, Pembroke Crescent. He was a real old salt, having gone to sea at the age of fifteen in 1906 as an apprentice with a steamship line; he then spent twenty years out East with the Merchant Navy. George V awarded him with an OBE for his part in a battle with Chinese warlords on the Yangtze in 1927. During both world wars, he was to be found serving with the Royal Navy. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for mine-sweeping duties during the First World War. He moved to Sussex in the 1960s, shortly after meeting his wife Eugenie on a Greek cruise; the couple had one daughter, and they used to live in The Martlets.

Fantasy Fiction and the Pembrokes

copyright © J.Middleton
David Lindsay lived in this house

It is a remarkable co-incidence that two authors who were unsuccessful in their day but are now much more esteemed, should had ended up living in fairly close proximity in The Pembrokes and became friends. They were David Lindsay, living in Pembroke Crescent, and E. H. Visiak, living in Pembroke Avenue.

David Lindsay (1876-1945) – He was born in Lewisham, although as might be expected with such a surname, his parents were of Scottish origins. Lindsay was a clever enough youngster to win a scholarship to attend university. It must have been a sweet victory for him, but unhappily his father abandoned the family, and there followed the crushing realisation that their precarious financial situation meant his education had to finish at the age of fourteen. What a waste for a man of his soaring imagination to be obliged to earn his daily crust by working at Lloyd’s as a humble insurance clerk. All the same, he made a success of his job. There was an interruption when he was summoned to service in the First World War although he was by then aged 40 but there was a desperate shortage of men. Initially, he served in the Grenadier Guards, but probably he was better suited when he was transferred to the Royal Army Pay Corps.

Meanwhile, there had been a torrid, romantic upheaval in his orderly life. For an incredible fourteen years he had happily coasted along with his suitable and patient fiancee without taking the final step to the altar. Then he fell head-over-heels in love with Jacqueline who happened to be twenty years his junior. It must have been an incredible coup de foudre, and he married Jacqueline during the war. But what of his first love, so brutally cast aside? We do not even know her name. Presumably, she could have sued him for Breach of Promise to Marry but perhaps she was too proud or too devastated to take such an action. It seems likely that Lindsay carried some residual guilt about his treatment of her for the rest of his life, and indeed some authorities think they can perceive it in his writings.

After the war, Lindsay and Jacqueline moved to Cornwall where they lived at Porth, near Newquay, from 1919 to 1929. It was while they were in Cornwall that Lindsay produced his most famous work A Voyage to Arcturus published in 1920. Lindsay sent his manuscript to the publisher Metheun where it was picked out by Robert Lynd who was the reader there. Lynd obviously recognised the quality of the work, and it must have been a great disappointment for both him and Lindsay when the book flopped – only selling 595 copies while 834 were simply remaindered. It is reminiscent of what happened to the first edition of Edward Fitzgerald’s translation of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam with most copies ending up in the bargain bin although later on, it became wildly popular. It is clear from Arcturus that perhaps at heart Lindsay was a musician rather than a born writer, and there are echoes of his musical knowledge in the book.

E. H. Visaik described A Voyage to Arcturus as being ‘violently disturbing’ also adding it was a ‘stupendous ontological fable, a metaphysical Pilgrim’s Progress’. He compares it with Paradise Lost where pride or ambition was seen as the original sin, whereas Lindsay leans towards pride of self-indulgence. Visiak also provided an essay for the 1970 anthology The Strange Genius of David Lindsay. The status of the once-neglected book has grown, and is now regarded as one of the most significant ‘underground’ books of the last century. Indeed, perhaps Arcturus inspired C. S. Lewis to write his Cosmic Trilogy because Lewis described it as a shattering and irresistible work. In the year 2021 Penguin Books brought out a paperback edition in their series Penguin Classics Science Fiction.

But to return to the Lindsays in Cornwall. It was apparent that Lindsay, having given up his day job in order to concentrate his mind on writing fiction, was not going to make enough money to live on. Something had to be done. The hoped-for solution was to run a boarding house in Sussex. But where? Some sources state that it was in Brighton, but this might be a generic term frequently used to embrace Hove as well. Wherever it was, it is safe to say that by 1940 he was living in Pembroke Crescent when a bomb landed on the house on 15 July 1940 while Lindsay was taking a bath. It is still reported that he never recovered from the shock he received at the time, but it was not the cause of his death. Lindsay became reclusive, but whether or not this was before or after the bomb is not clear. Lindsay had to confront his increasingly unhappy marriage, which was not helped by the lodging house – some say it was a Naval lodging house – not making enough money, plus the bitterness of his novels not being appreciated or selling well. He refused to visit a dentist to see about an abscess, and unfortunately it triggered a bad infection and became the cause of his death. He died at Hove ‘in obscurity’ on 16 July 1945. Did he realize that it was exactly five years and one day since the bomb incident?

Amongst other books by Lindsay was The Haunted House, which also won praise from the cognoscenti such as Colin Wilson who wrote that Lindsay had raised the basic problem of the artist and the mystic.

The Voyage to Arcturus (1920)

The Haunted Woman (1922)

Sphinx (1923)

The Violet Apple and the Witch (1975)

The Adventure of M. de Mailly (1926) historical novel

Hove Planning Approvals

1895 – Clayton & Black for C. Blandford, eight detached villas

1895 – Clayton & Black for C. Blandford, fourteen semi-detached villas

1896 – Clayton & Black for C. Blandford, one detached house

1896 – Clayton & Black for Davis Brothers, four houses in Pembroke Crescent and Pembroke Avenue

1896 – Clayton & Black for V. Young, twelve semi-detached houses in Pembroke Crescent and Pembroke Avenue

1897- Clayton & Black for Messrs C. and W. Chadwell, six pairs of semi-detached houses, north side

1897 – Clayton & Black for A. Chadwell, two houses

1898 – Clayton & Black for C. Blandford, house and stables

1898 – Clayton & Black for V. Young, one house

1898 – G. M. Jay for Jay Brothers, two villas, south-west corner

1898 – G. M. Jay for Jay Brothers, three pairs of semi-detached houses, north side

1898 – Clayton & Black for C. Blandford, one house, north side

1898 – Clayton & Black for Mr Chadwell, one house

1899 – G. M. Jay for Jay Brothers, one pair of villas

1899 – Jay Brothers, one pair of semi-detached villas, east side

1900 – Clayton & Black for A. Chadwell, one pair semi-detached houses, south side

1900 – Clayton & Black for Mr Chadwell, two houses, south side

1901 – Clayton & Black for C. Blandford, two pairs semi-detached houses, north side

1901 – Clayton & Black for C. Blandford, one pair semi-detached houses, north side

1902 – Clayton & Black for A. Chadwell, one detached house

1902 – Clayton & Black, one pair of houses

1903 – B. James for A. Chadwell, house and stable, west side

1903 – B. James for A. Chadwell, one pair semi-detached houses, west side

1904 – Clayton & Black for C. Blandford, detached house (number 49)

1905 – Clayton & Black for V. Young, one pair houses, east side

1905 – C. Blandford, detached house, north-west corner

1906 – Clayton & Black for V. Young, two pairs semi-detached houses, west side

1909 – C. Blandford, two pairs semi-detached houses

1909 – A. S. G. James for C. Blandford, detached villa

1910 – S. James for C. Blandford, five pairs semi-detached houses, west side

1914 – P. C. Blandford for C. Blandford, one pair houses and garage, south side

1914 – C. Blandford, detached house

Sources

Encyclopaedia of Hove and Portslade

Evening Argus

Clute, J. & Nicholls, P. The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction (1993)

Clute, J. & Grant, J. Editors Encyclopedia of Fantasy (1997)

Hove Council Minute Books

Lindsay, D. A Voyage to Arcturus (reprinted by Gollanz 1971 with a note by E. H. Visiak)

Lindsay, D. A Voyage to Arcturus (reprinted by Penguin 2021 with a biographical note)

Marianne Rocke Residents of Upper Beaconsfield

Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove

Sullivan, J. editor The Penguin Encyclopedia of Horror and the Supernatural (1986)

Wilson, C. The Occult (1971)

Wojtczak, H. Notable Sussex Women (2008)

Copyright © J.Middleton 2021
page layout by and additional research by D. Sharp